Learning is Constant
While the exercise of practicing to hop up onto a tire may not seem like a worthwhile activity, there is a lot of opportunity in this action!
Hopping up onto a tire teaches a dog to use their body in ways they otherwise might not.
This exercise teaches the dog…
- to gauge their environment,
- to learn how to get all four paws onto a smaller, oddly-shaped surface,
- and to balance their weight to position themselves off the ground, while strengthening muscles they don’t normally use.
Once successfully on the tire, we then practice extending the duration by reinforcing the dog while she remains on the tire, even with the distraction of other dogs moving around her.
Creating such opportunities to learn helps build confidence and makes the dogs happy to engage with us. And, they are also extremely valuable when applying them to real world experiences, such as grooming.
Imagine how the experience of standing on a strange surface like a tire can bolster the confidence of a dog standing on a veterinarian’s exam table!
We teach dogs through choices and opportunities rather than by using force and restrictions.
YES, the gate is open, but you will be reinforced for waiting rather than rushing past.
YES, you were playing with another dog when the Play Professor called you, but if you come, you will be reinforced and you can always return to play in a moment.
By consistently offering opportunities to make better choices, followed by outcomes that reinforce those better decisions, we can increase the likelihood of those behaviors happening, and the poor choices will fade away.
In this way, we empower the dogs to make choices, to try new things and to problem-solve.
This is why we say we are More Than Daycare. Doglando is an Enrichment Center.
Every day, we enrich your dogs’ lives. Our Play Professors love to discover what your dog is passionate about, and then to help them achieve their passion.
Our enrichment dogs dream about…
- dock-diving and swimming in our 40-foot long standard pool
- digging in our private dog beach, with natural sand and a shallow entry lagoon (for those not yet ready for the bigger pool)
- playing a game of Fetch on our 3.5 acres of natural grass
- scavenging our marsh and forest areas,
- swimming across our natural pond, or going for a ride in the canoe
- running through a tunnel and climbing to new heights on our playsets
- crossing a wobbly bridge to gain balance and confidence
- or sleeping under the many trees that shade our Jungle Gym area
There is so much to do here, and something for every dog! Our Play Professors are always ready to spot new learning opportunities, and engage the dogs in safe and healthy play.
We would love for you to stop by and take a tour of our campus today! If you’re looking to train your puppy or adult dog, or enroll them into our Enrichment Program, we will be happy to schedule a behavioral assessment for your dog, to begin enrollment into the University of Doglando.
Please feel welcome to contact us with any questions or inquiries you may have!